It’s February, the month of love. How do we take care of our hearts?
We bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
When I was a teenager, my thoughts would jump from one topic to another and I never paid much attention to them. I certainly did not know that I could decide what to do with them, once I thought them. I would just go about my day and react to them as they came into my mind.
Most days were easier than others. When my day was full of activities, I did not think about what I was thinking. I just enjoyed life and others around me. But some days, it felt like the world was crashing in and I could never escape the pain of tormenting thoughts. They frightened me and made me sad and I could not get them out of my head. I am sure some of you reading this can relate to the recordings we play over and over in our heads. The messages we hear from others and the ones we tell ourselves, come back to take refuge in the depths of our hearts and minds. You know the ones I am talking about…the ones that hurt all the way to the core of who we are and break our hearts in the process.
After college, I became part of a biblical teaching and outreach worldwide ministry for over fifteen years. During that time, I learned how to listen to my thoughts and stop them from racing. As each thought came to my mind, I would slow down my mind and break down each word. I asked myself the following questions:
- Is this truth from the father or a lie that I was taught to believe?
- What truth from God’s word can I replace to defeat the lie?
This past year, a friend of mine loaned me a book to read called, Switch on Your Brain. It was written by neuroscientist, Dr. Caroline Leaf. She had the answers I have been searching for, all in one book. I did not know at the time that what I was doing was rewiring my brain. I had been taught scriptures about “renewing my mind”, but it was not until I read her books, that I really knew exactly how God healed me from depression. Now I had the missing piece of the puzzle, and now I knew exactly how and why it mattered so much. It proves that science can no longer deny spiritual things and not only was this process successful, but could be replicated and taught to others.
She said that our brains are wired for love and light and anything else is not from the father. If it is not from the father, then we should get it out of our heads before it reaches the depths of our hearts and becomes a toxic thought and habit. Read her ‘21 Day Detox’ part of her book to break thought habits.
Before we close, I want to drive home one concept of her book: Mind over matter
Our mind and the thoughts we think change matter in the physical world – this includes healing within our own bodies. Our mind affects our brain and our body. Our brain must yield to our mind.
Our mind is the boss of our brain and the thoughts we think and words we say affect our body and change our body.
To find more great tips regarding her research, go to her website: https://drleaf.com/
Use these top 10 scriptures from her book to replace negative thinking patterns.
- 2 Tim 1:7 – Sound Mind – For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Rom 12:2 – Rewire our Brain – And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Prov 23:7 – For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.
- Phil 4:8 – Think these things – Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- 1 Cor 2:16 – Mind of Christ – For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
- Casting down thoughts – 2 Cor 10:5 – Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- Gen 1:3 – Words Change Matter – And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
- 30:19 – I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
- 18:21 – Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof
- 34:7 – We affect our own life and up to 4 generations – Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.