Can our focus unlock our courage? I believe it can.
In Louisiana, we have small bodies of waters called canals on the side of our roads. It is where fields and overflows from rainfall go to collect. And Lord knows what else! On one hot and humid summer day, my dad stopped the car and got out. He announced that we were going to jump into a canal to cool off. What did he just say? Yes sir, he sure said it and he went right in. My mom and brother followed after him. They had planned the trip in advance, but I did not know that. I hesitated. I wanted to be with them in the water, but could not move my body. All I could think about was the fear of the unknown. What if an alligator or snake is in there? What if I cut my toe on a rock? The rest of the family was having a blast, but not me; I retreated in fear and did not budge. The sun was hot, almost scorching my legs and sweat started to bead down my face. You’d think that would have prompted me to move. I was known for being a martyr and could be dramatic when it suited me. I did not move, nope, not one inch. After about 15 minutes of watching them have the time of their lives, a glimmer of hope appeared. I stood there looking down at my daddy holding out his arms and saying “jump, I will catch you”. I was afraid, but I did it anyway. I trusted his word to be true because I trusted him. I focused on my daddy and jumped right into his arms. And he caught me, just like he said he would.
I wish I could say all my fears disappeared that day, but they didn’t. Just like that day, sometimes I still take my focus off of my daddy’s arms (Heavenly Father) and cradle fear instead.
II Cor. 4:18 (CEB version) says, “We don’t focus on the things that can be seen but on the things that can’t be seen. The things that can be seen don’t last, but the things that can’t be seen are eternal.” God and his word is eternal. He is trustworthy and his word never fails.
Prov. 3:5-6 (KJV) says, “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not to thine own understanding. In all thy ways, acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths.”
Where is he leading you that may be a little frightening or scary?
Focus on Him and He will make a way where there may not seem to be one.
Focus will unlock our courage and help us do what we thought we could not do before.
May we all walk a little braver and dream a little bigger than before!
10 Power Verses about Courage
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deut. 31:6 NIV
- “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Jos. 1:18 NIV
- You will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the Lord gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged. 1 Chron. 22:13 NIV
- David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.” 1 Chron. 28:20 NIV
- Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him, for there is a greater power with us than with him. 2 Chron. 32:7 NIV
- Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it.” Ezra 10:4 NIV
- Will your courage endure or your hands be strong in the day I deal with you? I the Lord have spoken, and I will do it. Ezk. 22:14 NIV
- With a large army he will stir up his strength and courage against the king of the South. The king of the South will wage war with a large and very powerful army, but he will not be able to stand because of the plots devised against him. Dan. 11:25 NIV
- But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” Matt. 14:27 NIV
- Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 1Cor. 16:13 NIV